Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Departed - movie review

Last evening I watched "The Departed", a few years old film. I knew that it has few big movie-stars in it and that it got (or was nominated for) a few Oscars. And I got recommendations from a friend, so I expected a really great movie.

First, I must say I was really surprised by the cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen and Alec Baldwin, of those that I recognized. From this side, really no objections.

Main two characters are Billy and Colin, played by DiCaprio and Damon. They both became cops, but one is an undercover agent in the criminal organization led by Nicholson, while other is Nicholson's rat in the police. Not totally unknown premise, but an interesting one.

Unfortunately, middle part of the movie wasn't very captivating. First part, the introduction, was very good. But I must say that I don't know what really was happening in the middle. The end was very good and a big surprise, at least at first. But, after few minutes, you start wondering why they acted as they did, when they could have played it smarter.

Also, I found character of Frank Costello, played by Jack Nicholson, unsympathetic. There are instances when psychopathic criminal boss can be funny and you cheer for him, but this is not one of them. I found him too much "unfair", not following any moral code or standard. He is just too old and crazy that you wait the whole movie to see if he gets what he deserves. A scene where he is walking trough full coffee-house, sloppy and bloody all over, cranky about how things are not going his way, is just too much.

I'm not sorry for watching it, it is a very good movie and you can watch it at least for its cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment