Monday, July 12, 2010

Movie reviews: "The Proposal", "Top Secret", "The Bannen Way", "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"

In last week I watched four movies. Since I didn't find time to write posts about them (feeling lazy) I decided to put all four of them in one post. Movies (except last, of course) are not really new, but I watched them for first time. So, in the order of watching...

"The Proposal" is 2009 movie, a romantic comedy, starring Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds. I don't like Sandra Bullock and her movies, but a friend told me that this movie was a very fun watch (and he doesn't like romantic comedies and Sandra Bullock), so I decided to give it a go and watch it with my girlfriend. Plus, I like Ryan Reynolds movies.

In the movie, Bullock is a book editor and Reynolds her assistant. She is a heartless and results-only-matter boss, hated by all her stuff, while he is nice and hard-working, trying to make a name for himself in the business. After she finds out that she will be deported (she's a Canadian), she blackmails him into marrying her so that she can stay in the country. To prove that they are true in their intentions, they travel to Alaska, to his parent house, to announce their marriage. Then the fun starts....

Movie is pretty good. It has nice jokes, the kind of that doesn't make you feel stupid watching them and laughing. It also has a serious under-theme, expressed especially toward the end. Both actors are good in their roles and their characters don't feel like caricatures. It's not an impressive movie, but definitely a nice watch, especially for couples, because both can enjoy.

"Top Secret" is a 1984 (so, old as me) parody that I watched accidentally. I just got into friend's house when they were beginning to watch it. For first 10 minutes, I was thinking in myself "Why are we watching this?!?!", but after that, it turned out to be one of the funniest movies I watched in years.

Protagonist is Nick Rivers, played by Val Kilmer (his first leading role, according to IMDB), an arrogant and confident rock-star, traveling to East Germany to perform rock there for the first time. He will get involved in some crazy plot including Nazi's, Russians, French Resistance, captured scientist and so on...

Plot doesn't matter really; jokes are what this film is about. If you like old slapstick comedies and Mel Brooks' films, you will like this movies. Jokes will feel familiar, since they were copied many times in years, but nevertheless... I didn't believe how a boots-wearing cow can be hilarious for several minutes! Best to watch with group of friends in good mood.

And "The Bannen Way" is worst movie I watched since "Shoot 'em up". It is enough to say that one of the writers is also a leading actor. The main character, Neal Bannen is a con-artist, in his thirties (maybe even older), starting to bold, with absolutely none of the qualities that make a good con (he is not really good with words, he's not good looking, not very smart, determined, skillful, lucky or anything). Nevertheless, he manages with every heist he tries...

Somewhere in the beginning of the movie, he enters some office with intention to impersonate somebody else. After two smiles and three words, he manages to get the secretary to let him into locked and secured office and have a "wild passionate sex" with her, in the same time making some transfer of money, we stopped really  watching. Two people (out of five) actually went home. And we that stayed involved in meaningless discussion about it the main female actor Eva Longoria (she's not) and what unbelievable scene will come next. In short, don't watch!

Last, "Eclipse" I watched in the movies, with my girlfriend. She's a fan of series, so I didn't have a choice of not going (joking). Next, the trailer announced a much darker and action-oriented film than first two. Plus, it featured the Volturis, a vampire family that was the first thing that looked like something of a background history...

So, for you who watched first two movies (rest of you try watching first part and see if you will continue), plot is next (in very short): Victoria is back once more; someone is making a vampire-army; Jacob is determined to take Bella from Edward. For me, plot was secondary in this movie. What I liked the most were characterization (especially Jasper) and bits of history that finally try to make something of a coherent world.

Unfortunately, I think that will not be enough for most people. Fans who watched first parts for all the angst and emotional tension will find the action orientation of this movie as off-putting. For non-fans, the movie is far from impressing: bad acting (but better that before), predictable plot and many things to sneer at. I think that people like me will like "Eclipse" most: people who like vampire themes and world-building, grateful for small gems of imagined histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment