Sunday, January 24, 2010

Public Enemies, movie review, no spoilers

At Saturday I watched "Public Enemies", with Johnny Depp (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/). It is a last year film, with good reviews and few minor award nominations. It depicts later life of famous bank-robber John Dilliner and his gang, when they were already notorious, and attempts of their catching by FBI.

This post will be quite short, because film failed to interest me and I don't remember much of it. Maybe acting is good and theme is interesting, but this movie just didn't work for me. Too much of the film was just shooting (and I don't know was it just my version, but shooting was too loud, and talk too quiet). Also, I don't remember that there was some introduction to gang history or elaboration of their motivation (greed, boredom, etc.). It probably presumes that viewer is already familiar with Dillinger's life.

Best part of the movie for me was depiction of J. E. Hoover as media-manipulator, although he was just a side character, showed few times in whole movie. For some reason I found it very funny.

Anyway, it not a movie I wouldn't recommend to anybody, since there are tons of movies more grateful and pleasurable for watching than this. I presume it could be interesting to those people who are interested in deeper aspect of filming (acting or production), but I am not one of those, so I can' be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment